The 2nd edition of the Arts Management @ Sibelius Summer Academy course will mark the important milestone, the 25th Anniversary of the Arts Management department at Sibelius Academy.
This course aims to present the new era in Arts management field, discussing the new possible scenarios and new practices in the field, related to sustainability, environment, and digitalization. With this course we want to
- lay the ground and perspective of Urban Cultural Management and new trends.
- provide the current and future views of management and entrepreneurship in cultural and creative industries.
- present the new models and approaches in Festival and Events Management.
- increase participant’s knowledge and skills on the new trends and tendences in arts management field.
The programme consists of three different topics over the course of four days. The focus of 2022 edition will be on
- key trends in Urban Cultural Management and Policy
- cultural industries and creative entrepreneurship in the new era
- sustainable Festivals and Events Management
Dr. Violeta Simjanovska, Visiting professor, Dr. Franco Bianchini, Prof. Toni-Matti Karjalainen, Prof. emerita Milena Dragicevic-Sesic, Dr. Annukka Jyrämä, Lidia Varbanova, Miisa Järvi, Marko Ahtisaari, Suvi Ahoniemi, Asta Teräväinen, Chris Torch
Participation fees are as follows:
- 3 days: 320€ / normal
- 2 days: 256€ / normal
- 1 day: 128€ / normal
- 3 days: 160€ / student
- 2 days: 128€ / student
- 1 day: 64€ / student
Please note that the student discount applies not only to bachelor and master students but also to PhD students around the world. The course is free for the Sibelius Academy students.
Application period ends on 25 May 2022.
Who is the course for?
- Masters and PhD students
- Cultural operators and professionals
- Representatives from international organizations and Institutes of Culture
- Anyone interested in this topic
- Cultural organisations and policies and their contribution to sustainable development;
- Changing nature of cultural practices among young people;
- Demographic trends and the role of culture in this process
9.00-10.00 Introduction to the Arts Management @ Sibelius Summer Academy
(Violeta Simjanovska and all participants)
10.00-11.15 Urban cultural policies and sustainable development during and after the pandemic
(Franco Bianchini and Milena Dragicevic-Sesic)
11.30-13.00 Focus on two key trends: a selection of issues and themes from the debates on digitalisation and anti-racism/cultural decolonisation
(Milena Dragicevic-Sesic and Franco Bianchini)
14.00-15.00 The students form 6 breakout groups (of 5 students each). Each group discusses a key trend introduced by the lecturers, or an additional trend identified by the students themselves
15.15-16.45 Report back from the 6 breakout groups (8 mins. presentations by group members followed by 7 mins. feedback from the lecturers and discussion)
16.45-17.00 Concluding remarks by the lecturers
Day 2 7 June 2022: Cultural industries and creative entrepreneurship in the new era
- Cultural and Creative Industries Framework and future challenges
- International entrepreneurship in arts and culture
- Audience engagement, arts branding and marketing in the new era
Lecturers: Prof. Toni-Matti Karjalainen, Dr. Lidia Varbanova, Dr. Annukka Jyrämä
This day will address the framework and challenges of creative industries and cultural entrepreneurship in the new era of Arts Management and its sub-fields. In particular, the concept of cultural and creative industries will be reviewed, along with the various forms of cultural entrepreneurship in the post-covid and digitalized worlds. New forms of audience engagement, marketing and branding strategies will also be touched upon in the contexts of the music and film industries as well as other creative and cultural fields.
10:00-10:45 The business of cultural and creative industries (Toni-Matti Karjalainen)
11:00-12:00 Cultural entrepreneurship (Lidia Varbanova)
12:00-13:00 lunch break
13:00-14:00 Arts marketing (Annukka Jyrämä)
14:15-15:15 Brand management in arts and culture (Toni-Matti Karjalainen)
15:30-16:00 Concluding discussions
Day 3: 8 June 2022: Sustainable Festivals and Events Management
- Festivals and Events Management framework and practices
- Sustainable approach to Festival and Events management in the globally expanding festival industry
- Greener Festival: standards and good practices
Lecturers: Dr. Violeta Simjanovska, Miisa Järvi, Marko Ahtisaari, Suvi Ahoniemi, Asta Teräväinen, Chris Torch
Festival and Events play a decisive role across the creative industries. Managing increasingly demanding ecological and environmental challenges, diverse and discerning audiences, technological developments and market shifts, demands new type of skills, understandings and insight. Engage with the future of festivals and events, this day of the summer academy will be dedicated to discussing how arts managers need to adopt and how to manage successful festivals, working at the forefront of technology and sustainability. Harnessing international expertise from festival and event management, paired with academic approach, this day aim to enhance participants professional practice, creative perspectives and approaches, whole encouraging the critical evaluation or current industry framework.
10:00-11:00 Festival and Event management- an international and sustainable arts perspective, (Violeta Simjanovska)
11.15- 12.00 Production of Festivals and Events in Institutional set up (Miisa Järvi)
12:00 13:00 lunch break
13:00-14:00 HELSINKI FESTIVAL (Marko Ahtisaari and Suvi Ahoniemi)
14.15- 15.15 Baltic Circle festival (Asta Teräväinen)
15.30- 16.30 Management of Events: Challenges and future orientation (Chris Torch)
16.30- 17.00 Concluding discussions
- Head of department, lecturer Arts Management, Sibelius Academy
- Professor, Arts Management, Sibelius Academy
- Coordinator, Tuottajat Sibelius-Akatemia, Sibelius Academy
The course is also a part of the 25th Anniversary of the Arts Management Department at the Sibelius Academy.