Anniversary logo Anniversary logo animation

Hooray! We are celebrating our 10-year anniversary in 2023! The celebrations will be themed around the future of arts.

Frequently asked questions about student admissions at the Sibelius Academy

General questions concerning applying

Q: How do I apply?

A: All applicants must fill in an electronic application form through the Studyinfo application system. In addition, other materials might be required, such as appendices or pre-examination assignments, depending on the degree programme you are applying to. Be sure to check out detailed information on applying from the admissions guides.

Q: Is there a separate admissions process for international applicants?

A: Sibelius Academy welcomes international applicants to our programmes. Domestic and international applicants go through the same admissions process and follow the same guidelines.

Q: Do I have to know Finnish to apply to Sibelius Academy?

A: Only our Music Education programme requires skills in Finnish or Swedish. All other programmes are offered also in English and you do not need to know Finnish to be able to apply. Please note, that all applicants must have command of the language of tuition used in the programme. You must demonstrate your English, Finnish, or Swedish language skills during the application phase. Read more about lan­guage re­quire­ments at the Sibelius Acad­emy here.

Q: Is there an age limit for undergraduate and/or graduate education?

A: There is no age limit for applicants. Students who have completed an appropriate education required for the programme in question are eligible.

Q: Are there fees for degree studies or the application?

A: Uniarts Helsinki charges tuition fees from non-EU and non-EEA students studying for a degree in English. The fee is the same for bachelor- and master-level students. Read more about the tuition fees.

In addition, all students pay the annual mandatory Student Union membership fee that entitles you to sizeable discounts, which help alleviate some costs of living (such as a part of public transportation and meals at school cafeterias). Read more about the Student Union fee here.

NOTE! The university does not offer housing or free meals. Students are responsible for managing their costs of living. The university does not offer scholarships for living expenses.

Q: Am I allowed to apply to more than one programme during the same application period?

A: You can apply for up to six programmes during one application period. You can be offered several study places in joint application in spring. Please note that you may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term. This rule applies to all higher education.

NOTE! During one application period, you can only apply for either the 2.5-year or the 5.5-year programme of a single main subject, or main instrument.

Q: Will I receive points in the entrance examination based on school grades, matriculation examination results, art diplomas, or other prior achievements?

A: No. Students are admitted based only on their success in the entrance examination.

Q: Does Uniarts Helsinki accept transfer students from other universities?

A: No, Uniarts Helsinki does not have a separate transfer student application process. Everybody applies for the right to complete a degree by using the Finnish national joint application system Studyinfo. Read more about our transfer study practices here.

Q: Can I transfer credits from earlier education?

A: Yes, students can apply for credit transfer of their previous higher education studies.

Q: If I am granted a study place, can I postpone starting my studies? Can I register as absent for my first academic year?

A: According to the Finnish Universities Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year only for statutory reasons. Read more about registration as absent for the first study year here.

Q: Where can I get more information about studies at the Sibelius Academy?

A: For information about our study programmes, please see the programme-specific information pages. For the curricula and courses, check the study guide.

Q: Where can I get information about student life and studying at the Sibelius Academy? Can I get in touch with current students about their experiences?

A: A good place to start is the “Interested in studying at the Sibelius Academy?” page.

In addition, our Student Ambassadors are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding studying and student life in the Sibelius Academy and Helsinki, or even give you a tour of our campus. To get in touch with our Student Ambassadors, you can send an email to

Q: May I submit entrance examination assignments through Dropbox, Google Drive or a similar cloud service?

A: No. We only accept the submission methods listed in our instructions. Any services in which files can be edited after the deadline are not accepted.