It is produced as a collaboration between Uniarts Helsinki’s Sibelius Academy and the USC Thornton School of Music. Students from the two institutions have joined forces in this opera production, which will premiere in Helsinki on 15 March 2022. The American premiere will be in Los Angeles on 21 April 2022.
Uljas Pulkkis and Glenda Dawn Goss: All the Truths We Cannot See: A Chernobyl Story
- Uljas Pulkkis, composer
- Glenda Dawn Goss, libretto
- Ken Cazan, director
- Markus Lehtinen / Brent McMunn, conductor
- David Jacques, set and light designer
- Sean Cawelti, video designer
- Pia Lasonen, costume designer
- Riina Laine, makeup designer and bodypaint artist
- Svitlana Fedorova (Lana) – Maria Turunen (SibA) 15.3., 19.3., 22.3. / Lily Smith (USC) 16.3., 18.3., 21.3.
- Maksym Smirnov (Max) – Tuomas Miettola (SibA) 15.3., 19.3., 22.3. / Krishna Raman (USC) 16.3., 18.3., 21.3.
- Allura – Olivia Kyllönen (SibA) 16.3., 18.3., 21.3. / Christine Marie Li (USC) 15.3., 19.3., 22.3.
- Borys Slykovitch – Luke Scott (SibA) 16.3., 18.3., 19.3., 21.3. / Lorenzo Zapata 15.3., 22.3. (USC)
- Bear– Iris Candelaria (SibA) 15.3., 19.3., 21.3. / Madeleine Lew (USC) 16.3., 18.3., 22.3.
- Elk, Babusya, Robot – Ruut Mattila (SibA) 15.3., 19.3., 21.3. / Elisabet Petsalo 16.3., 18.3., 22.3.
- Hare, Kuzma, Oleg, Town Cryer – Jasper Leppänen (SibA)
- Berehynia, Yulia, Dosimeter, Robot, Firefighter – Stella Tähtinen (SibA)
- Mavka, Nadyia, Dosimeter, Robot, Soldier – Maija Turunen
- Olena, Fox, Firefighter, Voice – Isabella Shaw
- Deerhart – Wilhelm Blomberg
About the opera
All the Truths We Cannot See: A Chernobyl Story is about the explosion that occurred at the nuclear power plant in Chernobyl, Soviet Union in 1986 as well as its causes and consequences.
In a pristine region where nature and animals have thrived for centuries, wildlife biologist Lana Fedorova is devoting her life to protecting species that have been hunted nearly to extinction, including a rare white deer.
Ominously, a new director, the ruthless and power-hungry Allura, arrives at the nearby nuclear power plant. Her goal is to maximise the plant’s profits and intimidate the staff to reduce costs. This sets the stage for a struggle between the zealous bureaucrat Borys Slykovitch and ambitious engineer Maksym (Max) Smirnov.
When Allura learns that Max, who was her rival for the plant directorship, is to marry Lana, her little sister, she swears revenge. Max’s confidence is shaken, and on his next all-night shift at the station, an accident causes a meltdown in one of the reactors. In the ensuing catastrophe, the animals and people in the region are all poisoned, and the survivors are forced to evacuate their beloved city.
Months later, Max is summoned to headquarters by Party officials and learns that he can save his career only if he brings Allura the trophy head of a rare white stag. However, the river and animals of the region have their say.
- 15 March 2022 at 6:30 p.m. World Premiere, sold out
- 16 March 2022 at 6:30 p.m., cancelled
- 18 March 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- 19 March 2022 at 4:00 p.m., sold out
- 21 March 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- 22 March 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
The project is funded by the Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation.
Further information: Mirka Rättyä