Sibelius Academy trains instrument and voice teachers in several departments. These future teachers gain valuable experience by practising their pedagogical skills with pupils. The practice pupil and the teacher meet weekly on the Sibelius Academy premises, and the teaching sessions are monitored by a supervising senior teacher. We welcome all kinds of instrumentalists and singers, from young beginners to advanced pupils, for the following instruments/departments:
Application for academic year 2019–2020 has ended.
We will contact all of the applicants after the selection process, latest 15 September 2019.
Available places for 2019-2020:
- Faculty of Classical Music: accordion, classical voice, guitar, kantele, organ, piano, practical accompaniment (piano), flute, strings (violin, viola, cello and double bass)
- Faculty of Music Education, Jazz, and Folk Music: African-American (pop/jazz) voice (music education department), folk music (folk music department), jazz voice, and jazz ensemble instruments (jazz department)
Instrument-specific instructions for applying academic year 2019–2020
- For accordion, we are looking for beginners or children from 6 to 9 years of age at the very beginning of their studies (adults only in exceptional cases).
- For African-American (pop/jazz) voice studies, you will need to be 12–35 years of age. We appreciate earlier music studies and music reading skills. Selected applicants will be invited to an audition. Audition dates: 23.8 at 14-16.30 and at 19-20.30 as well as 26.8 at 15-20
- For classical voice studies, you will need to be at least 18 years of age. We appreciate earlier music studies and music reading skills. Selected applicants will be invited to an audition, arranged on August 22th from 15:00 onwards. The selected applicants will be invited via email on week 33.
- For guitar, we are looking for 6–9 year-old beginners and more advanced practice pupils of different ages
- For jazz, we are primarily looking for advanced students, for example vocational music students or professional musicians of another genre. The jazz department offers private lessons (beginning in the autumn term of odd years) and ensemble lessons (beginning in the autumn term of even years). During the academic year 2019-2020, private lessons for instrumentalists and vocalists are available.
- For kantele, we are looking for 5–8-year-old beginners. The instrument is 38-stringed concert kantele. We will provide help in finding a suitable instrument, if necessary.
- For music technology, we are looking for pupils of all ages with interest in computer-aided composition and some previous music studies.
- For organ, we are looking especially for 14–30-year-old students with a background in piano.
- For piano, we are looking for 5–8-year-old beginners and advanced pianists with at least a music institute level certificate from a music school. Some of the applicants will be invited to a small aptitude test.
- For Winds (flute, traverso)
- Flute, we are looking for 7-12-year-old beginners
- Traverso, we are looking for 2 students
- Pedagogigal studies for clarinet students of Sibelius-Academy are organized in co-operation with Helsinki Conservatory of Music. We are looking for at least 8-year-old English speaking children to start as a rehearsal student for one year. Permanent front teeth are necessary.
- For practical accompaniment studies on the piano, we are looking for beginning and more advanced practice pupils. For practical accompaniment, you will need to know how to read music, and, to some extent, be familiar with chords. You will be invited to a small-scale audition and interview.
- For strings (violin, viola, cello, and double bass) we are looking for beginning and more advanced practice pupils of different ages. If you speak English, you are welcome to study with our international pedagogy students.
- Violin: Some of the applicants for the violin are invited to for a brief interview and an audition.
- Baroque cello: More advanced cellist (level 3/3 or music institute level). SibA borrows the Baroque Cello and a bow.
- Viola da gamba: Slightly more mature candidate who would have time to practice almost daily. SibA borrows the instrument.
We will start processing the applications after the application period has ended in August. We will contact all applicants after a selection process in September, latest 16th of September 2019. Please note, that we can only accept a selected amount of the applicants.
The service fee for a practice pupil is EUR 170 per term (EUR 340 per year). The second child from your family will pay EUR 130 per term. University of the Arts Helsinki students as well as wind instrument pupils are exempt from the fee. We will mail the service fee invoice to your home address. The invoice for a minor will be sent to his or her parent. The fee includes 14 lessons per term.
The duration of one lesson is up to 45 minutes. For small children, the normal duration of one lesson is 30 minutes.
All practice pupils will receive a study plan in accordance with their goals. The plan will be updated if necessary. For the pedagogy students, the objective of the teaching practice is to become versatile professionals. The repertoires of the practice pupils will include music of different styles and genres; it is not sensible for a practising teacher to, for example, hone the pupil’s skills for a few pieces to be performed in a competition.
Through the teacher training period, Sibelius Academy teacher trainees learn to plan and evaluate their teaching and to develop their pedagogical and interactive skills. They will also become experts in the technicalities and artistic features of their instruments’ repertoires or of their main subject.
The practice pupils will pursue their study under the teacher trainee and a supervising senior teacher, who is in charge of the training. We expect the practice pupils to undertake the lessons for both the autumn and the spring term and to do their weekly homework meticulously. Practice pupils will perform in student matinees during the terms. They will also take group lessons as necessary.
Practice pupils do not complete level performances automatically. If need arises, performance examinations may be organised. You can request to receive a certificate for your study as a practice pupil.
siba.harjoitusoppilaat (at) uniarts.fi