Registering as absent for the first year of studies

In accordance with the Universities Act (Section 39), a new student can register as absent for the first year of studies only for the following reasons:

  • The student is completing their service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
  • The student is on maternity, paternity or parental leave
  • The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by a personal illness or injury

The right to enroll as non-attending must be applied for in writing from the university at the same time as the study place is accepted.

Should the legal grounds for the absence apply only to the second academic term (e.g. military service or maternity leave beginning in January), the student may enroll as non-attending for the entire academic year if they so wish. It is also possible to change the status from attendance to non-attendance for the spring term during the registration period of the spring term.

If the student enrolls as a non-attending student during their first academic year without providing a sufficient report on the grounds for absence by the deadline defined by the university, the student will lose their right to study. If the student wishes to start their studies at a later point, they must reapply to the university for admission. Readmission does not require participation in the student admissions procedure.