You may demonstrate your proficiency in english in the following ways
● General education completed in English in an EU or EEA country or in Switzerland, the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand
● University degree or a university of applied sciences degree completed in English in an EU or EEA country or Switzerland, the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand
● University or a university of applied sciences degree completed in Finnish or Swedish in Finland, which includes foreign language studies in English in accordance with the decree 794/2004 or 1129/2014
– Foreign language studies in English that are included in an incomplete Finnish university/university of applied sciences degree, as well as studies completed in some other manner, can also be approved, provided that the studies comply with the decree. In this case, the applicant must send a transcript of study records to Uniarts Helsinki along with a copy of the degree requirements of the higher education institution in question or some other document that states which language studies are required for the degree.
● English test of the Finnish matriculation examination completed in the advanced syllabus level (A-level language) with a minimum grade of magna cum laude approbatur (M)
● International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
– diploma completed in English
– passing grade in the English test (literature / language and literature / literature and performance) on level A
– minimum grade of 5 (good) in the English language test on level B
● European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma
– passing grade in English as the L1 language
– minimum grade of 7 in English as the L2 or L3 language
● A Reifeprüfung diploma (Deutsche Schule Helsinki) can be used as proof of sufficient language skills if the applicant has received a passing grade in the written level A English test (or an equivalent result in Deutsches Internationales Abitur) or a minimum grade of 8 in the oral level A English test
● Certificate of a completed language test approved by Uniarts Helsinki
◦ TOEFL (IBT)
– Total score: 92
– Uniarts Helsinki also accepts MyBest Scores for the Toefl test, as long as the results of all sections of the test are valid in the same year as when the applicant applies to studies.
◦ IELTS (Academic)
– Overall Band Score: 6.5
◦ Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE)
– The accepted grades are A, B, C and Level C1
◦ Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE)
– The accepted grades are A, B, C and Level B2
◦ Cambridge English B2 First (FCE)
– The accepted grades are A, B, and C
◦ Pearson Test of English (Academic)
– Total score: 59
◦ The International Certificate (PTE General)
– The accepted tests are Level 5 (C2), Level 4 (C1) and Level 3 (B2).
◦ National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI) in English awarded by the Finnish National Agency for Education
– all subtests of the test completed on level 4 (reading comprehension, writing, listening comprehension, speaking)
– alternatively, a passing grade (different test occasions may be combined) in a minimum of three subtests of the test on the highest level (levels 5 and 6)
Online tests of the aforementioned language test organisers are also suitable demonstrations of language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition, IELTS Indicator).
IELTS, TOEFL and PTE test results are valid for two years from the test date. The test result must be valid in the year in which the applicant is applying to the university so that it can be considered proof of the applicant’s proficiency in English. Cambridge and National Certificate of Language Proficiency results are valid indefinitely.
● Exchange students can also demonstrate their sufficient English skills during their exchange period at Uniarts Helsinki with language studies completed at Uniarts Helsinki:
– Courses in English leading to skill level B2 (English 1 and/or English 2; minimum scope of 2 credits, the courses include both written and oral exercises).
– Exchange students also have the possibility to demonstrate their proficiency by participating in an English language proficiency test during their exhange period at Uniarts Helsinki, and more detailed instructions are available from language teachers.