Lied @ Sibelius Summer Academy is a week-long study programme dedicated to German song. Singer-pianist duos will work daily with an internationally renowned faculty of teachers, and the programme will include music coachings, classes on poetry and diction, stage presence, and an array of lectures, presentations and discussion forums on topics related to the tradition and future of German song. At the end of the course, students will participate in a public presentation recital, and there will also be an informal Schubertiade in the middle of the week. Students are expected to bring a range of German song repertoire to the course, including at least two songs by Schubert and one contemporary German song. A list of suggested contemporary repertoire will be provided.
- Professor Soile Isokoski, Visiting Professor, Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki
- Professor Petteri Salomaa, Professor of Vocal Arts, Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki
- Professor Tuija Hakkila, Professor of Piano, Sibelius Academy, UniArts Helsinki
- Professor Andreas Schmidt, Professor of Singing, Hochschule für Musik und Theater, München, Visiting Professor, Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki
- Keval Shah, Lecturer of Lied, Sibelius Academy, UniArts Helsinki
- Professor Richard Stokes, Professor of Lieder, Royal Academy of Music, London
- Jeremy Sams, theatre director, writer, translator, compose
- Course fee to be announced later
How to apply
Based on the applications, six piano-vocal duos from the Sibelius Academy and six from outside the Sibelius Academy will be selected to participate in the course.
Applicants should submit video recordings of two contrasting German songs, including one song by Franz Schubert. Successful applicants will be asked to submit a repertoire list of 12-16 songs in advance of the course.
Application form and detailed information will be available on this page during the application period.
- November 1st 2021- 31st January 2022. Link to the application form will be attached here by the application period.
Lecturer in Lied
Sibelius Summer Academy is a summer study program offered by the Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki. It offers young talents a chance to work and perform together with world-class teachers, artists and other students in an encouraging and inspiring international environment with state-of-the-art facilities. Sibelius Summer Academy is supported by the Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation and the Wihuri Foundation.