Degree in History of Music (Faculty of Literature and Philosophy), University of Turin 1994. Diplome in Composition, Conservatory of Music ”A. Vivaldi” Alessandria (Italy) 1996. Composition and electroacoustic music at Sibelius Academy, with Kaija Saariaho and Jean-Baptiste Barrière 1997-98. Electroacoustic music studies in Paris, CCMIX (Centre de Création Musicale Iannis Xenakis), IRCAM/Centre Georges Pompidou 1999-2001.
Tutkimus ja julkaisut
Livorsi, Paola: Human Voice and Instrumental Voice: An Investigation of Voicelikeness
Abstract of my concert series plan
Vocal analysis data will form the basis of new instrumental and vocal works, some purely acoustical and some for mixed media. Concerts and research together form a progression, investigating the relations between spoken voice and instrumental sound. The concerts are:
– Imaginary Spaces, concert-installation: Paola Livorsi composition and sound design, Juho Laitinen cello and sound design, Roberto Pugliese live electronics, sound design and sound objects, Marek Pluciennik processed live video, Sampo Pyhälä stage design. Helsinki Music Centre, Black Box 16.10.2016
– Voices and Spaces, recital concert: Tuuli Lindeberg soprano, Anni Egecioglu vocalist, Petri Kumela guitar, Ahoora Hosseini daf & tombak, Uusinta Ensemble and string quartet, conductor Jószef Hárs. Paola Livorsi composition, Juan de Dios Magdaleno live electronics, Marek Pluciennik processed live video. New work The end of no ending, on Poems by anonymous Afghan women. Helsinki Music Centre, Black Box 20.10.2017.
– Voices and Cello: concert curated by Paola Livorsi. At the programme: Peter Eötvös Two Poems to Polly, Paola Livorsi Migramare (new version), Jovanka Trbojevic Sky Shopping – Hommage to Brahms, Peter Ablinger Voices and Piano. New work Between Words and Life, on poems by Gülten Akın. Helsinki Music Centre, Black Box 24.4.2019.
– Sounding Bodies: with analogue projectors (Marek Pluciennik), Jousitus ensemble, Giorgio Convertito & Vera Lapitskaya dance makers, live electronics, two analogue films. Vapaan taiteen tila, 14.11. 2020.
– Medusa: Piia Komsi soprano & cello, Sara Orava paintings, five dancers. Autumn 2021.
Abstract of my written thesis
This research aims to investigate the relations between body and language expression and instrumental sound, with particular regard to string instrument players. Everyone has a certain repertoire of gestures and body movements, whose ”style” may be recognizable. The hypothesis is that the musician’s native language, together with this complex combination of body and spoken language expressions, contributes to the performer’s own instrumental style.
The project involves audio and video recordings with string instrument players from various countries and native languages. The data will be analyzed and compared, to allow the connections between body, language and musical expression to emerge.