Who can apply?
We accept exchange applications from all Erasmus+ programme eligible institutions. In addition, students from institutions which have a Bilateral Agreement with the Theatre Academy, are eligible to apply.
Please contact with your home institution’s International Office to find out whether you can apply for an exchange study period at the Theatre Academy. The applicant should be nominated as an exchange student candidate by their home institution.
Application schedule and semester dates
Application schedule for the academic year 2020-2021
- For the autumn semester 2020 and the whole academic year 2020-2021, application deadline is 14 April 2020 (11.59 pm Finnish time). This application round is closed.
- Additional application round for the spring term 2021: deadline is 12 October 2020 (11.59 pm Finnish time)
Academic calendar 2020-2021
- Autumn semester, first and last day of teaching: 10 August – 18 December
- Spring semester, first and last day of teaching: 7 January – 18 June
The applicant should be nominated as an exchange student candidate by their home institution.
Exchange students can apply to the Theatre Academy either for the autumn semester, spring semester or full academic year.
The maximum length of exchange studies at the Theatre Academy is two semesters within one study cycle (Bachelor/Master/Doctoral).
The applicant must specify to which study programme in the Theatre Academy they are applying to. However, it is possible to apply to more than one programme. Once accepted, exchange students can take courses from other programmes besides their main programme of study.
Different study options are presented on the Uniarts Helsinki website and course information is published in the Uniarts Study Guide. Autumn’s teaching is confirmed by 15 May and spring’s teaching by 31 October, which means the information might not be up-to-date during the application period.
The applicant should have some previous studies in the subject(s) they are planning to study at the Theatre Academy.
The applicant should have good competence (at least B2) in the language they are going to study in, i.e. English, Finnish or Swedish.
Required documents and videos
Before filling in the online application, please prepare the following material required for the application.
1. Curriculum Vitae
- Maximum 2 pages, in pdf format
- Please name the document followingly: “Lastname_CV”
- In the CV, describe your previous studies, work experience, projects, and other relevant information.
2. Motivational letter
- 1 page, in pdf format
- Please name the document followingly: “Lastname_motivational letter_study programme”
- Describe why you would like to study in the study programme you have chosen, and what are your expectations and goals for the studies at the Theatre Academy.
- If you are applying to more than one study programme, please write a separate motivational letter for each programme.
- Choreography and dance applicants: in the motivational letter, make a connection to your video recording
3. Transcript of records and/or a certificate of previous studies
- in pdf format
- The document should enlist the studies completed by the student at the sending institution
4. A link to a video recording – choreography and dance students
- Format: link to an online video
- The video should show your own work and interest as a choreographer or dancer.
- In your motivational letter, discuss the video recording.
5. Summary of research plan – doctoral students
- Maximum 2 pages, in pdf format
- Please name the document followingly: “Lastname_Research plan”
- Include the background, objectives, methods and main references of your doctoral research project.
Evaluation and final decisions
Completed applications submitted through the online application system by the deadline will be evaluated. The final decision will be based on the quality of the application and on the availability of study places and courses in English.
The applications for the autumn semester and the whole academic year will be evaluated in April-May. We will notify both the applicant and the coordinator of the sending institution about the decision in May.
The applications for the spring term will be evaluated in October. We will notify both the applicant and the coordinator of the sending institution about the decision in November.
Accepted students are asked to confirm their exchange in May (or November). Once the student has confirmed the exchange, a letter of acceptance will be sent by email.
If you have questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.