Who can apply?
We accept exchange applications from all Erasmus+ programme eligible institutions. In addition, students from institutions that have a Bilateral Agreement with Uniarts Helsinki’s Theatre Academy, are eligible to apply.
Please contact your home institution’s international office to find out whether you can apply for an exchange study period at the Theatre Academy.
Application schedule and semester dates
Application schedule for the academic year 2022-2023
Application deadlines are:
- The application period for the autumn term 2022 or the academic year 2022-2023 will be open from March 1 to March 31, 2022.
- 15 October 2022 for the spring term 2023.
Academic calendar 2022-2023
- Autumn term 2022, first and last day of teaching: 8 August – 20 December
- Spring term 2023, first and last day of teaching: 9 January – 18 June
Submit your application in the EASY application system at aec.dreamapply.com by the deadline.
The application system allows you to save a draft of the application and continue editing it later. Make sure that you also submit the application by the deadline.
Once you have submitted the application, your home institution’s coordinator will receive an email requesting to confirm your application. This confirmation in the application system replaces our previous process of nominations. We no longer require prior nominations by email.
In the application system, choose Academy of Fine Arts and Theatre Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki as your destination institution. If you are not able to find us in the EASY application system or if you do not find your home institution either, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask about the possibility to apply.
You can apply to the Theatre Academy either for the autumn term, spring term or full academic year. The maximum length of exchange studies at the Theatre Academy is two terms within one study cycle (Bachelor/Master/Doctoral).
In the application, you must specify which study programme in the Theatre Academy they are applying to. It is also possible to apply to more than one programme. The availability of studies in English varies yearly and from programme to another. Once accepted, exchange students are advised to take individual courses from other programmes besides their main programme of study. The Theatre Academy students can also take courses from other academies of Uniarts Helsinki. We offer a great variety of studies in the field of arts that you can select for your learning agreement.
Different study options are presented on the Uniarts Helsinki website and course information is published in our Study Guide. Please note that autumn term’s teaching is confirmed by 15 May and spring term’s teaching by 31 October, which means the information might not be up-to-date during the application period.
A successful applicant should have some previous studies in the subject(s) they are planning to study at the Theatre Academy.
You should have good competence (at least B2) in the language you are going to study in. For most exchange students the language of studies is English.
Only a very limited number of exchange students are accepted each term. Students are selected based on their applications and the availability of studies in English.
Study programmes open for applications
Below is the information on which study programmes are open for exchange applications during this application round.
Acting (BA and MA) – two study programmes
In the Theatre Academy, there are two programmes in Acting, both are five-year programmes, with BA studies and MA studies. One of the programmes has Finnish as the main language of teaching and the other is in Swedish. Both programmes are open for exchange applications, and both offer every year few courses in English as well.
In general, about 4 workshops (one or two weeks) are offered every year that are in English. In addition, there are usually weekly classes in movement (dance, acrobatics) and voice training (signing) that our exchange students can also join. But, if you speak Swedish, then you will have more course options.
The MA programme in Choreography is not open for applications for the academic year 2022-2023.
The BA programme in dance is open for applications for the autumn term 2022 and for the academic year 2022-2023.
Dance Performance (MA)
The MA programme in Dance Performance is not open for applications for the academic year 2022-2023.
Dance Pedagogy (MA)
The MA programme in Dance Pedagogy is open for applications for the autumn term 2022 and for the academic year 2022-2023. This master’s programme is a bilingual programme with English and Finnish tuition.
Theatre Pedagogy (MA)
The MA programme in Theatre Pedagogy is open for applications applications for the autumn term 2022 and for the academic year 2022-2023. This master’s programme is a bilingual programme with English and Finnish tuition.
Dramaturgy (BA and MA) and Comparative Dramaturgy and Performance Research (MA)
In the field of dramaturgy, Theatre Academy has two programmes: a five-year programme in Dramaturgy and Playwriting and an English MA programme in Comparative Dramaturgy and Performance Research.
The MA programme in Comparative Dramaturgy and Performance Research is open for applications for the autumn term 2022. There are no BA studies in Dramaturgy open this application round.
Exchange students are offered studies from both programmes, depending on their interest and the courses available on that specific year. For exchange studies in dramaturgy, it is recommended to have at least two years of studies completed when you apply, as the offered studies are suitable for 3rd year BA or MA students.
Directing (BA and MA)
The directing programme is open application for the autumn term 2022. The directing programme’s main language of tuition is Finnish, but it currently offers a variety of studies in English as well – especially for MA students.
For the exchange studies in Directing, it is recommended to have at least two years of studies completed when you apply, as the offered studies are suitable for 3rd year BA or MA students.
Design for the Performing Arts (BA and MA)
The study programme in Design for the Performing Arts is a new programme in the Uniarts Helsinki. In the programme, scenography is treated as a versatile area of art and design that is linked to contemporary performance. Read more on about the degree programme in Design for the Performing Arts on the website.
The main language of tuition is Finnish, but each year a broad variety of studies are offered in English. The programme is open for applications for the autumn term 2022 and academic year 2022-2023.
Lighting Design (BA and MA)
The programme in Lighting Design is open for applications for autumn term 2022.
Sound Design (BA and MA)
The programme in Sound Design is not open for applications during this application round. There won’t be any studies available in English during the academic year 2022-23.
Live Art and Performance Studies (LAPS) (MA)
This programme is an English master’s programme that combines performance theory with live art and performance art. The MA programme in LAPS is open for applications for the autumn term 2022.
Doctoral Programme of Artistic Research in Performing Arts
Theatre Academy’s doctoral programme is open for applications during this application round.
Required documents and videos
The online application form will be open 1 March – 31 March (11.59 pm Finnish time).
Before filling in the online application, please prepare the following material required for the application.
- Describe why you would like to study specifically in the study programme you have chosen, and what are your expectations and goals for the studies at TeaK.
- If you are applying to more than one study programme, please explain it in your motivation letter.
- Choreography and Dance applicants: in the letter, make a connection to your video recording.
- In the application system, the maximum length for the motivation letter is 3500 characters.
- Maximum 2 pages, in pdf format
- Please name the document in the following way: “Lastname_CV”
- In the CV, describe your previous studies, work experience, projects, and other relevant information.
Copy of an official ID
- Scan of your passport or other official ID with a photo
A preliminary study plan
- You will need to make a preliminary study plan in the application system. In the plan, list the study units you would like to take during your exchange.
- The course catalogues for the Theatre Academy study programmes are available here: https://opinto-opas.uniarts.fi/en/theatre-academy/13746/e
- The plan is preliminary, it will give us an idea of your interests. There will be changes to it before your learning agreement is approved.
- In addition to your chosen study programme, you can also apply for courses listed in the catalogues under Uniarts optional studies, Theatre Academy Elective studies and Studies for exchange students.
Creative portfolio – Scenography / Design / Live Art and Performance Art students
- Format: a link to a website or a pdf file
- Name the pdf portfolio in the following way: “Lastname_portfolio”
- The creative portfolio should showcase your own work and interest as a designer / performance artist.
- The maximum size for a portfolio in pdf format is 20 MB. Please pay close attention to the quality and size of the pictures.
Text sample OR a video – Dramaturgy (BA and MA) and Comparative Dramaturgy and Performance Research (MA)
- Max. 10 pages, in pdf format
- Please name the document followingly: “Lastname_text sample”
- Applicant can decide the genre without restrictions
- Insert a link to an online video / a video file.
Summary of research plan – doctoral students
- Maximum 2 pages, in pdf format
- Please name the document in the following way: “Lastname_Research plan”
- Include the background, objectives, methods and main references of your doctoral research project.
Applicants in Dance or Choreography: Insert a link to an online video or upload a video file. The video should show your own work and interest as a choreographer or dancer. In your motivation letter, discuss the video recording.
For applicants in Dramaturgy (BA and MA) and Comparative Dramaturgy and Performance Research (MA): Insert a link to an online video / a video file (OR a text sample, see instructions above).
Applicants in other study programmes: to accompany your motivation letter, you can include a media file or a link to an online content that illustrates an example of your previous artistic work or production.
Evaluation and final decisions
We will evaluate only those applications that have been completed in full and submitted through the online application system within the deadline. The final decision will be based on the quality of the application and on the availability of study places and courses in English.
The applications for the autumn term and the whole academic year will be evaluated in April-May. We will notify both the applicant and the coordinator of the sending institution about the decision in May.
The applications for the spring term will be evaluated in October. We will notify both the applicant and the coordinator of the sending institution about the decision in November.
Accepted students are asked to confirm their exchange in May / November. Once the student has confirmed the exchange, a letter of acceptance will be sent by email.
Contact International Relations staff
If you have questions about the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.