Who can apply?
We accept exchange student applications from our partner institutions. Please be in contact with your home institution’s International Office to find out whether you can apply for an exchange study period at the Academy of Fine Arts.
Application schedule and semester dates
Deadlines for applications
- The application period for the autumn term 2020 or the academic year 2020-2021 will be open from February 3 to April 14, 2020 (deadline extended).
- The application period for the spring term 2021 will open in September and end on October 15.
Academic calendar 2020–2021
- Autumn semester: August 24 – December 18 (includes orientation days in August)
- Spring semester: January 7 – May 31
You are expected to study according to the above-mentioned semester dates. The maximum length of exchange studies at the Academy of Fine Arts is two semesters.
The applicant will submit the application in the Easy online application system aec.dreamapply.com by the deadline. The documents required for the application are:
- a short CV in pdf format describing your previous studies, relevant work experience, art projects, exhibitions, residencies and other relevant information in chronological order
- a portfolio in pdf format: please include a maximum of 8 works in the portfolio. Each work may consist of 1–3 pictures. The maximum size of the portfolio is 20 pages. Please pay close attention to the quality and size of the pictures. In addition to this you may upload video or audio files to accompany your application.
- a research plan in case you are a doctoral student
- a motivational letter describing why you would like to study at the Academy of Fine Arts and what your expectations and aims for the studies are
- a preliminary study plan. The course catalogues for the academic year 2020-21 will be published in April, but you can check the current course catalogues at https://opinto-opas.uniarts.fi/
Evaluation and final decisions
Complete applications submitted through the online application system by the deadline will be sent for evaluation. The final decision is based on the quality of the application and artistic portfolio and on the availability of studio space.
The decisions are made within 5-6 weeks of the application deadline. We will notify both the applicant and the coordinator of the sending institution about the decision in May. Accepted students will receive the decision through the online system and by email. The students who are not selected will be notified through the online system.
If you have questions about the application process please send an email to email@example.com.