Healthcare and wellbeing services for international students

Read about the benefits and support available to international degree and exchange students including access to healthcare services.


Finnish Student Health Service

If you are a degree student at a university in Finland, you can access the services of The Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) that provides general, mental and oral health care services.

Degree students pay the FSHS healthcare fee according to instructions provided on the Kela website. More information is available on the Finnish Student Health Service website. You must pay the fee even if you have a private health insurance. You do not have to pay the healthcare fee if you have social security coverage from another EU/EEA country, from Switzerland, or from Great Britain or Northern Ireland. 

Please note that FSHS does not have any emergency services, so please check the opening hours and turn to other healthcare services if needed. The general emergency number in Finland is 112.

Exchange or PhD students are not entitled to the FSHS services.


All our degree and exchange students are covered by an accident insurance while they are taking part in teaching and studies.

If you have a European Health Insurance Card, you can get the same acute medical treatment in public healthcare services as local citizens.  While living in Helsinki, you may seek urgent healthcare at one of the Helsinki Public Health Stations.

If you are not an EU/EEA citizen, you will need medical insurance to get a residence permit.  Read more about the insurances on the Finnish Immigration Service website.

See information about healthcare in Finland and in Helsinki on the following websites: Info Finland, and the City of Helsinki.

How we can support you throughout your studies

You can read more about the student wellbeing on the web pages intended for Uniarts students.