Tuition fees and scholarships

Tuition fees at Uniarts Helsinki are applicable to students who study in English and who are not citizens of EU, EEA, or Switzerland.

Uniarts Helsinki will charge an annual tuition fee of 5,000 euros from non-EU and non-EEA students studying for a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in a foreign language. In Uniarts Helsinki’s admissions, tuition fees apply to applicants applying to study in English. The amount of the fee will stay the same for the duration of your studies. The amount of the tuition fee is confirmed on a yearly basis.

The fee cannot be charged to a citizen of a Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA), or to a person who is entitled to the same treatment as EU citizens under a treaty signed by the European Union and its Member States with a third party or to a family member of the above-mentioned individuals. Nor can it be charged to a person with an EU Blue Card, a continuous or permanent residence permit or a long-term resident’s EU residence permit issued to third-country nationals as referred to in the Aliens Act, or to a family member of the above-mentioned individuals. The definition of persons regarded as family members is based on the Finnish Aliens Act.

Exemption from tuition fees

You are exempted from paying tuition fees if you have one of the following documents:

  • Passport (or identity card) to indicate the citizenship of EU/EEA/Switzerland
  • EU Blue Card in Finland
  • Continuous residence permit card in Finland (Type A permit)
  • EU Family Member’s Residence Card in Finland
  • Permanent residence permit card in Finland (Type P permit)
  • EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence permit card in Finland (Type P-EU permit)

Temporary permit cards and passports must be valid at least until the studies start.

In addition, the fees will not concern those non-EU/non-EEA students who:

  • study in degree programmes taught in Finnish or Swedish
  • have started their studies before autumn 2017
  • are exchange students
  • are enrolled in doctoral or PhD level studies and research

Please check the FAQ of the Studyinfo website whether or not you are required to pay tuition fees. For more information about tuition fees in general, see Finnish Immigration Service. Please note that students from non-EU/non-EEA countries have to apply for residence permits, which are issued based on documents of available funds (appr. EUR 7,000/year).

If you are liable for payment due to your nationality, you must use the application form in the Studyinfo portal to notify whether there are any above-mentioned grounds that would apply and release you from payment. You must provide the necessary documents that prove release from liability for payment and submit them to the admissions office by the deadline confirmed for submitting the attachments related to the joint application procedure.

If your liability to pay the fee changes after the application deadline, you must contact the admissions office immediately.

Impact of Brexit on tuition fees

During the transition period the UK students are not liable to the tuition fees. The transition period ends 31 December 2020.

New UK degree students who have arrived in Finland prior to 31 December 2020 must register their right of residence (in accordance with the withdrawal agreement) between 1 October 2020 and 31 December 2020 to be exempt from tuition fees. If you complete your registration or have submitted your application before the end of 2020 you will be exempt from tuition fees even if you start your studies after 1 January 2021. Please send the proof (from MIGRI) of your right of residence or application to as soon as possible.

New UK degree students who arrive in Finland after 31 December 2020 are liable to full tuition fee and residence permit requirements like other non-EU/EEA students. If you wish to apply for a scholarship, please state so in your application to Uniarts Helsinki.


Uniarts Helsinki has a scholarship programme for students who are liable for payment in the form of tuition fee waivers.

If you are liable for payment, you must state on the application form if you want to apply for a scholarship from Uniarts Helsinki to cover the annual tuition fee if you are admitted as a student.

  • The scholarships are granted for one academic year at a time based on the students’ applications
  • The scholarships are either 50% or 100% tuition fee waivers
  • New tuition fee paying degree students who have applied for the scholarship will be granted a tuition fee waiver of EUR 2,500 (50%) on their first academic year
  • The scholarships are personal to the applicant to whom they are awarded, and there is no reserve list system in the scholarship programme
  • The decisions on scholarships cannot be appealed against.

You will be notified of the decision personally at the same time as you receive the admission results. Students who are liable for payment have the right to apply for scholarships during the normative duration of their studies. The scholarships are applied for and the decisions regarding scholarships are made annually.

The annual tuition fee must be paid before a deadline that is confirmed on a yearly basis. The application process for a residence permit can only begin after the annual tuition fee has been paid. Uniarts Helsinki recommends students to pay the annual tuition fee as soon as possible after they receive the notification of their admissions. Students are required to pay the annual tuition fee in order to register for attendance and complete studies, and to obtain a residence permit.