Fields of research and tasks
The duties of the Postdoctoral Researcher will include conducting their own research and teaching in the thematic area of “analogue image in the era of digital imagery”.
The Academy of Fine Arts has a long tradition and a functional environment for film-based practice in Fine Arts. Postdoctoral research into analogue practices is a new initiative within the Academy. The research is expected to investigate the significance of various analogue techniques and ecological forms of image production as an emerging field of specialization in the era of digital imagery. The aim of this research initiative is to strengthen and develop experimental analogue practices (incl. film, photography and cameraless photography) and the teaching methods of these across the subject areas within the Academy. The Postdoctoral Researcher will be situated in the subject area of Time and Space Arts and will collaborate with other artist-researchers and academic staff within the Academy and Uniarts Helsinki.
The main part (ca. 60%) of Postdoctoral Researcher’s working time is allocated to their own research with the expectation of research outcomes. Other working tasks include teaching, supervising, publication activities and research development work on behalf of Uniarts Helsinki, such as, project planning, applying for funding as well as other communal university activities.
We expect you to have the following:
- a suitable doctoral degree from a Finnish or an internationally recognized university, granted within the last five years
- university level experience in teaching and art practice in the thematic area of analogue practices
- a demonstrated record of independent research
- good communication and interaction skills
- the ability to connect to communities, networks and operators relevant to the thematic area of analogue practices
- the capacity and willingness to participate in the research-based education of fine art students on all degree levels
The languages of instruction at Uniarts Helsinki are Finnish, Swedish, and English. For this position, an excellent command of English is required.
Working time and salary
The salary for the position will be based on level 5 of the demands level chart for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. Monthly salary at the beginning of employment will be approximately €3450-€3750, depending on the selected candidate’s qualifications and professional experience.
The post follows the total working time system, where the annual workload is 1,612 hours, as defined in the collective agreement. The position requires working in Finland for the duration of the employment relationship. Thus, the assignment requires the Postdoctoral Researcher to reside in Finland for the duration of the employment relationship.
How to apply
The applications should be submitted through our electronic recruitment system by 10 October 2023 at 23.59 (EEST) at the latest. You will receive an automatic reply from the system (check the spam folder if you can’t find the email with your username information in your inbox). Please save your application materials in English and in PDF form.
The application consists of
- A motivation letter (1–2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae (in accordance with TENK’s instructions), including the list of publications
- A concise artistic portfolio in digital form
- A research plan for a 3-year project including a publication plan (maximum 5 pages including references)
The short-listed candidates’ interviews will be held online.
For more information on the position please contact Vice Dean for Research Mika Elo and on the recruitment process HR Specialist Leena-Kaisa Paananen, our e-mail addresses are in the form firstname.lastname@example.org.