CfAR/Postdoctoral researchers (3-5 positions)
The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) is an international forerunner in education and research in the field of arts, taking the arts as a force that reforms society. The extensive range of educational opportunities in the arts and the new dialogue between creative training and research set Uniarts Helsinki apart as an internationally unique university.
The Centre for Artistic Research (CfAR) is one of the three established research centres at Uniarts Helsinki. CfAR is an internationally recognized unit: it has hosted the 2017 SAR Conference (Society for Artistic Research) and supports the editorial team of the journal RUUKKU. CfAR ́s over-arching aim is to foster artistic research (AR) with a particular emphasis on promoting postdoctoral activities in AR. CfAR is a community of artist-researchers who explore, through art-making, varied topics including philosophy, digitalization, and societal engagement.
We are opening a call for applications to the positions of
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHERS (3-5 POSITIONS)
The positions are part-time (50% of the full-time equivalent employment) and fixed-term from 01/04/2019 to 31/03/2020 (or as agreed).
Fields of research and tasks
Artistic Research (AR) is one of the three significant research areas – alongside arts education and arts history – at Uniarts Helsinki. Artist-researchers in the fields of music, dance, theatre and fine arts form a community combining multiple disciplines and research traditions. It is characterised by close cooperation between the community members.
We are looking for artist-researchers who are motivated to participate actively in the development of CfAR’s research activities. The Postdoctoral Researchers have two obligations: (a) to prepare personal or collective project funding applications in artistic research, and (b) to work towards at least one peer-reviewed article for publication. The Uniarts Helsinki research services will offer support regarding funding applications.
As a Postdoctoral Researcher, in addition to personal research, your tasks may also include research activity development work on behalf of the University of the Arts Helsinki, i.e. project planning, applying for funding as well as other communal university activities. These individually agreed upon tasks may account for approximately 25% of your total working time .
We expect you to have the following:
- a suitable doctoral degree from a Finnish or an internationally recognised university
- a demonstrated record of activities in artistic research including publications
- the skills to carry out independent research
- good presentation and interaction skills
- the ability to work as part of a team of researchers and an international research network
- the capacity and willingness to contribute to the CfAR community
Working time and salary
The total working time of researchers is 812 hours per annum. Salary is determined in accordance with the Salary System for Finnish Universities and the task-specific salary component will be level 5. In addition, the personal salary component will be paid. Monthly salary at the beginning of the employment will be €1500-1700 (for the part-time position) depending the selected candidate’s qualifications and professional experience.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to provide all the following documents:
- A motivation letter (1 page, minimum font size 11)
- A preliminary research plan (maximum 4 pages, minimum font size 11), which clearly indicates:
- the field of research and subject
- research questions, methodology, and expected outcomes
- schedule of implementation, the materials required, technical and financial resources required, possible staff resources
- potential partners (if any)
- CV (maximum 2 pages, minimum font size 11)
- List of publications and artistic portfolio (maximum 4 pages, minimum font size 11).
The deadline for all applications is 1st February 2019 (23:59 Finnish time). All applications must be sent as single PDF files to the University of the Arts Helsinki registry via email to kirjaamo(at)uniarts.fi, with the subject title “CfAR-tutkija/CfAR researcher”. Confirmation of receipt will be sent to the sender’s email address.
For more information about the positions, please contact Director of CfAR, Professor Mieko Kanno via email, mieko.kanno(at)uniarts.fi
For queries related to the application process, please contact HR representative Anna Kotka via email, anna.kotka(at)uniarts.fi