LEAD! The Orchestra Project is an international project that provides young musicians with coaching and mentorship to develop their leadership, communication skills and industry awareness. The project is led by conductor Jukka-Pekka Saraste. In 2020, it is implemented in collaboration with the Swiss Haute école de musique Genève, the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music of the National University of Singapore, and the Sibelius Academy of the University of the Arts Helsinki.
The cooperation culminates in concerts by the Let’s LEAD! Orchestra in Lahti, Tampere and Helsinki in November 2022. Working with the best in the world in their own specialties, students gain a wealth of knowledge and experience to support their artistic identity and careers. The project is supported by the Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation.
- Conductor Jukka-Pekka Saraste
- Guest mentor Tero Latvala, violin
- Guest mentor Alexander Zemtsov, viola
- Guest mentor Franz Bartolomey, cello
Mentoring professors from the three collaborating institutions
- Haute école de musique de Genève & son site de Neuchâtel:
Aline Champion, violin, Gérard Métrailler, trumpet
- Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki: Kati Salovaara, double bass, Tero Toivonen, horn
- Yong Siew Toh Conservatory in Singapore: Zhang Jin Min, bassoon, Brett Stemple, tuba
- Professional mentors Frances Maunder and Sarah Osa
Contact information for the project
- Coordinator, Orkesteritoiminta, Sibelius Academy
LEAD! Orchestra Project 2020
Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation