Frequently asked questions about student admissions in Theatre Academy

How do I apply?

All applicants must fill in an electronic application form through the Studyinfo application system. In addition, other materials are required, such as advance assignments and various appendices. Be sure to check out detailed information on applying from the admissions guides.

Is there a separate admissions process for international applicants?

Theatre Academy welcomes international applicants to our programmes taught in English. Domestic and international applicants go through the same admissions process and follow the same guidelines.

Do I have to know Finnish to apply to Theatre Academy?

You do not need to know Finnish to be able to apply to our English programmes.

Do I have to know Finnish in order to study in Theatre Academy?

The Theatre Academy offers most of its courses in Finnish. Student has the right to use written or spoken Finnish and Swedish in teaching and study attainments, unless it is otherwise stated in the curriculum or the character of the teaching makes it impossible. However, as most of the group instruction is in Finnish, proficiency in Finnish is necessary, except in the Swedish-language degree programme in Acting or the English-language Master’s Programmes.

Please note, that all applicants must have command of the language of tuition used in the programme. You must demonstrate your English, Finnish, or Swedish language skills during the application phase.

Is there an age limit for undergraduate and/or graduate education?

There is no age limit for applicants. Students who have completed an appropriate education required for the programme in question are eligible.

Are there fees for degree studies or the application?

Uniarts Helsinki charges tuition fees from non-EU and non-EEA students studying for a degree in English. The fee is the same for bachelor- and master-level students. Read more about tuition fees.

However, all students are to pay the annual mandatory Student Union membership fee (about 70€) that entitles you to sizeable discounts, which help alleviate some costs of living (such as a part of public transportation and meals at school cafeterias).

The university does not offer housing or free meals. Students are responsible for managing their costs of living. The university does not offer scholarships for living expenses.

In addition, all students are required to pay the healthcare benefit fee (about 70€), which entitles you to use the services of Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS offers general health services, mental health and oral health services).

Am I allowed to apply to more than one programme during the same application period?

You can apply for up to six programmes during one application period. You can be offered several study places in joint application in spring. Please note that you may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term. This rule applies to all higher education.

Will I receive extra credit based on school grades, matriculation examination results, or art diplomas?

Students are admitted based on their success on the entrance examination and possible preliminary assignments only.

Do I have to participate in the entrance examination in Finland, or is it possible to replace the examination with something else?

In general, the entrance examination must be completed in Helsinki, Finland. However, in some programmes remote auditions replace entrance examinations, and you do not need to attend the entrance examination at the Theatre Academy in Helsinki. The programme-specific admissions instructions will mention the video auditions if they are available.

Does Uniarts Helsinki accept transfer students from other universities?

Uniarts Helsinki does not have a separate transfer student application process. Everybody applies for the right to complete a degree by using the Finnish national joint application system Studyinfo. Read more about applying for transfer.

Can I register as absent for the first academic year?

According to the Universities Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for statutory reasons. Read more about registering as absent.