Networked Actor Theory
Contemporary stages and performing bodies are imbued, permeated and produced with technologies and they rest on technological infrastructures. At the same time, systemic changes within techno-conditioned realities entangle with planetary ecological, political and economic crises, destabilizing divisions between human and non-human, living and dead, past and present, close and distant. These shifts have profound implications for practices of living, and the practices of art and research are no exception.
Media art, critical media theory and communication studies as well as live and performance art have addressed and operated within the (new) technological turns. Lately also performing arts and theatre have seen an emergence of artistic research engaging with the performativity of technology, questioning its neutrality and transparency, and supplementing human sense making and embodiment with algorithmic, machinic, and virtual performing bodies.
Open to the public, Networked Actor Theory research day brings together various approaches in this framework and it aims to explore the expansion of conceptions and practices of acting, performance, and the stage within the contexts of theatre and performing arts. Along with critical techno-speculation the research day invite artistic research projects and proposals that share an interest in performing bodies as complex, networked assemblages which extend beyond the human as a distinct, sovereign figure.
The performers, speakers and proposals of the day come from professor of Sound Design Jari Kauppinen, dramaturg Otso Huopaniemi, philosopher Esa Kirkkopelto, visual artist Henna Riikka Halonen, Zimbabwean-Swedish scene artist Stacey Sacks, French-Basque metteur en scène Vincent Roumagnac and actor Outi Condit.
- 10 – 10.20 Simo Kellokumpu, Outi Condit: Performative Introduction
- 10.30 – 11.15 Jari Kauppinen: towards the phonic, the non-assembled ensemble
- 11.30 – 12.15 Otso Huopaniemi: As of yet Unrealized Mind Machine
- 12.30 – 13.20 lunch
- 13.30 – 14.15 Esa Kirkkopelto: Virtual and Virtualization
- 14.30 – 15.15 Henna-Riikka Halonen: Placeholder, The Gold Bug and other stories
- 15.30 – 16.15 Stacey Sacks: SATYRIC BODIES : fleshy cartoons in dialogue with the not yet and the already dead
- 16.30 – 17.00 Vincent Roumagnac: The Backdrop and its Double (screening)
- 17 – 17.20 coffee break
- 17.30 – 18.30 Outi Condit: Remote Control Human: machine in the ghost
- 18.45 – 19.30 discussion
Networked Actor Theory Research Day
Time: 3.5. between 10 – 20
Place: Maijansali, Helsinki Central Library
The event is free of charge: the event has 70 places, no pre-registration or booking
In case the event is full, the organizers need to limit the entrance to the space.