Data protection at Uniarts Helsinki
The data protection legislation is about to change, and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will enter into force on 25 May 2018. The purpose of the GDPR is to improve the protection of privacy and to standardise the regulations concerning the processing of personal data across the member countries of the EU. The GDPR states the rights of the data subject as well as the obligations of the data controller in the processing of personal data.
Data protection officer
According to the GDPR, the university is required to appoint a data protection officer. The duty of the data protection officer is to supervise the legality of personal data processing and to help the university to fulfil the obligations regarding data protection. The data protection officer works as the contact person of the supervisory authority and provides support for the data subjects if they have questions regarding the processing of personal data.
Contact information of Uniarts Helsinki’s Data Protection Officer as of 25 May 2018: specialist Antti Orava, email tietosuoja(at)uniarts.fi, telephone +358 294 47 3568
Data protection policy
The university’s data protection policy (in Finnish) describes the main principles, obligations and procedures that the university adheres to in the processing of personal data. In its role as the data controller, Uniarts Helsinki is committed to protecting the rights and freedoms of individuals when processing their personal data.
Data protection is managed at the university with the help of following measures, for example:
- planning the process of personal data processing in advance, while taking into account the whole life cycle of personal data processing (data protection by design and by default)
- following the basic principles of the GDPR in the processing of personal data
- informing the data subjects about data processing
- making sure the collected personal data are correct
- defining the storage period of personal data
- ensuring the validity of necessary agreements when outsourcing the processing of personal data
Uniarts Helsinki informs the data subjects on matters related to them with the help of e.g. privacy notices. See alla privacy notices in Finnish here: http://www.uniarts.fi/tietosuoja-taideyliopistossa