The Research Institute of the University of the Arts Helsinki is recruiting
three University Researchers
in the area of Artistic Thinking that is driven by Artist Pedagogy for a fixed-term employment (project) contract from 1 June 2023 (or as agreed) to 31 Dec 2026. The position is full-time.
Fields of research and tasks
Research into the higher education of artists has been recognized internationally as a significant new research field. The University of the Arts Helsinki (Uniarts Helsinki) has established university pedagogy in the arts and research into the higher education of artists as a core of its research profile. This focus has been recently interlinked to artistic thinking, by which we mean diverse kinds of knowledge processes involved in artistic creation that both draw on and move beyond previously created art in novel ways.
With the Profi7 funding from the Academy of Finland Uniarts Helsinki is recruiting three University Researchers to the newly established Research Institute. Researchers will collaborate with the academic staff of the institute as well as of our three academies, the Sibelius Academy, the Theatre Academy, and the Academy of Fine Arts.
The duties of the University Researcher will include their own research in the thematic area of artistic thinking that is driven by artist pedagogy as highlighted in the University’s strategy and in accordance with a research plan fine-tuned in liaison with the director of the Research Institute. As a University Researcher you are expected to conduct research on the epistemic qualities of artistic thinking and to advance research methodologies and theories related to artist pedagogy. Furthermore, research is expected to articulate the capacities that artistic thinking has in re-envisioning and rebuilding the arts and society, that is, to reinforce the societal impact of artist pedagogy and artistic thinking.
In addition to individual research and publication activities, your tasks also include research development activities within Uniarts Helsinki, such as project planning, applying for funding as well as other communal university activities. The successful candidate is expected to have art and/or art pedagogical practice in the art fields represented by the university.
We expect you to have the following:
- a suitable doctoral degree from a Finnish or an internationally recognized university
- international experience in university level research, teaching and administrative activities in the above thematic areas
- a demonstrated record of extensive activities in research in art and/or art pedagogical practice including evidence of research outputs in the above thematic areas
- skills to carry out independent research
- excellent communication and interaction skills
- interest to work as part of a team of researchers and an international research network
- the capacity and willingness to contribute to the research community in artist thinking
The languages of instruction at Uniarts Helsinki are Finnish, Swedish, and English. For this position, excellent command of English is required.
Working time and salary
The salary for the position will be based on level 5-7 of the demands level chart for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. The monthly salary at the beginning of employment will be approximately €3300-5100, depending on the selected candidate’s qualifications and professional experience. The position requires working in Finland. Thus, the assignment requires the university researcher to reside in Finland for the duration of the employment relationship.
How to apply
The applications should be submitted through our electronic recruitment system by 31 March 2023 (UTC +2). You will receive an automatic reply from the system (check the spam folder if you can’t find the email with your username information in your inbox). Please save your application materials in English and in PDF form.
The application consists of
- A motivation letter (1–2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae (in accordance with TENK’s instructions), including other relevant research outputs
- List of publications (in accordance with TENK’s instructions)
- A research idea outlining core questions and methods in relation to the area of artist pedagogy and artistic thinking and a timeline for the research (maximum 5 pages including references)
- A concise artistic portfolio in digital form (max. 10 pages and max. 15 minutes of audio-visual material)
- A teaching portfolio (5-10 pages)
The short-listed candidates’ interviews will be held online in the beginning of May 2023.
For more information on the position please contact Vice Rector of Research Jaana Erkkilä-Hill or Director of the Research Institute, Professor Leena Rouhiainen and on the recruitment process HR Specialist Leena-Kaisa Paananen, our e-mail addresses are in the form email@example.com.
Taideyliopisto on avoin taiteiden kohtauspaikka, rohkeiden uudistajien ja perinteen taitajien kriittinen yliopistoyhteisö. Muodostamme ainutlaatuisen ympäristön taiteilijana kasvamiseen ja vahvistamme taidetta ja sen muutosvoimaa. Taideyliopisto on yksi alansa johtavista yliopistoista ja siihen kuuluvat Kuvataideakatemia, Sibelius-Akatemia ja Teatterikorkeakoulu. Opiskelijoita meillä on noin 2 000, professoreita 60 ja henkilötyövuosia noin 700.