György Ligeti Symposium 2017
February 10–11th, 2017
Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki, Finland
The DocMus Doctoral School at the Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki, invites performers, composers, researchers and students to take part in the conference György Ligeti Symposium Helsinki 2017, organized in collaboration with the contemporary music festival Musica nova Helsinki 2017.
The György Ligeti Symposium Helsinki 2017 is supported by Alfred Kordelin Foundation
Themes and topics
The symposium concentrates on the following themes, but proposals on other aspects of Ligeti´s music are also welcome. Alongside scholarly presentations, the organizing committee encourages performers to submit proposals on lecture recitals.
- Issues of performance
- Music-analytical and stylistic approaches
- Ligeti´s influence on music of our time
In addition to scholarly presentations and lecture recitals, the symposium will also feature concerts as part of its varied program, including performances of Ligeti´s Piano Etudes and music influenced by Ligeti.
Invited keynote speakers include
Prof. Jonathan W. Bernard
Composer Lukas Ligeti
Prof. Fredrik Ullén
Abstracts & Programme
The Abstracts include also the detailed programme of the Ligeti symposium.
Proposals for individual papers (20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion), lecture recitals (max. 40 minutes), posters and panels (60 minutes) should be sent as abstracts (max 500 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org with full contact information for each author. Along with scholarly proposals, abstracts representing practice-based research ('artistic research') are welcome. The DL for proposals is September 15th 2016. The accepted proposals will be announced on October 1st 2016.
The conference language, as well as the language for the abstracts, is English. The deadline for submitting abstracts is September 30th 2016. Authors will be contacted by November 30th 2016 with the acceptance decisions.
Conference abstracts for Ligeti Symposium Helsinki 2017 will be published in advance on the conference website and in print. This will serve as a symposium programme, while also providing background information about the participants and their research topics. The applicants are therefore encouraged to include written comments discussing how their artistic and other research work support each other and towards which common goal they are directed. Selected presentations of Ligeti Symposium 2017 Helsinki will be published.
The proposal must be accompanied by
- Cover sheet listing the name, affiliation, area of specialty, and email for each proposer, along with the proposal title and format.
- Abstract of max.500 words describing the content of the paper, lecture recital, poster, workshop, panel or other sessions of unusual format.
- Detailed program of the lecture recital: composers, work titles, composition years, opus numbers)
- Recording of the proposer’s performance of at least one work to be presented as part of a lecture recital
- Curriculum vitae and contact information
- Equipment needed for performances and presentations (all instruments, data projectors, etc.)
- Professor Lauri Suurpää (Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki)
- Professor Veli-Matti Puumala (Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki)
- University lecturer, DMus Annikka Konttori-Gustafsson
- Adjunct professor Alfonso Padilla (Helsinki University)
- Coordinator of Doctoral Studies, DMus Markus Kuikka, (Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki)
- Elisa Järvi, DMus (Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki)
- Mikko Missi M.A., producer
Contact and participation information
DMus Markus Kuikka
Participation information and fees
Free admission to lectures and lecture concerts, symposium abstract book 10€
There is a possibility to acquire a symposium participation package for 60€, including the following:
- Lectures and lecture concerts
- Symposium abstract book
- Coffee and buffet dinner on Friday February 10th at 5.30 p.m.
- Tickets to the following concerts:
10.2.2017 at 7 p.m. Helsinki Music Centre, Camerata hall: Lukas Ligeti - Delta Space
10.2.2017 at 9 p.m., Helsinki Music Centre, Camerata hall: The Complete Ligeti etydes
11.2.2017 at 5.30 p.m, Helsinki Music Centre, Sonore hall: NYKY Ensemble with CM&T: Chronos and Cosmos
The package can be acquired by contacting Markus Kuikka at email@example.com by February 2nd 2017.